Since 2006 CRAS has been a go to vender for BC Hydro and Independent Power Providers requiring rope access, safety, high angle and confined space rescue, inspection and maintenance services.
CRAS has performed numerous inspections and a wide variety of maintenance work on a multitude of hydroelectric Spill Gates, Dams, Weirs, Penstocks and Surge Towers. We have conducted high angle and confined space operations at nearly every B.C. Hydro and IPP generating station in the province. Canadian Rope Access Specialists has conducted numerous spill gate and internal penstock inspections in a wide range of remote and mountain environments both in the blazing heat of summer and the freezing cold of winter. CRAS personnel are capable in any environment and have worked extensively with helicopters and off road vehicles in difficult terrain, including avalanche zones, underground tunnels and steep mountain slopes.
- Spill Gate Inspection
- Penstock Inspection
- Surge Tower Inspection
- Visual Inspection
- NDT, UT measurements
- Corrosion Assessments
- Coatings Inspection
- Structural Climbing
- Industrial guiding
- Confined Space Standby
CRAS has also had extensive experience positioning personnel on dam faces utilizing rope systems to conduct various inspections and repair work.
- 2007 Alouette: CRAS sent a team into a 100 year old penstock to search for a missing trash rack. The Team entered by rappelling down the surge tower, then down several hundred meters into a confined space, unseen by human eyes for some time.
- 2007 Elliot dam: Included using a cross haul to access a central low point on the dam to cut a newly placed pipe flush with the dam, and place grouting around to resurface the section of dam bored through to insert pipe.
- 2008 Chekamus: An 18 hour underground adventure through an 11km tunnel 3800ft below the mountain summit from Daisy lake to the Squamish river. CRAS Inc. safely guided 12 engineers through subterranean river systems and caverns.
- 2008 Jordan River: CRAS Completed an Internal and External Penstock Inspection that travelled over 5km of rugged alpine terrain. Sections varied from 30-70 degrees with limited anchorage.
- 2008 John Hart: Standby Rescue services for a Surge Tower Inspection, escorting 4 Engineers while they carried out a visual inspection. The top of the tower was approx 350′ high and was accessed via a caged ladder system from top to bottom
- 2008 Whatshan: CRAS Inc. conducted an 800 foot, high angle natural rock tunnel and penstock inspection. CRAS also assisted B.C. Hydro rock scalers in stabilizing the tunnel, installing rock anchor bolts, and by providing BC Hydro with standby rescue services.
- 2009 Kooteney Canal: Canadian Rope Access Specialists contracted to assist in patching the canal with a membrane liner.
- 2009 Wahleach: CRAS was contracted to conduct an internal and external penstock inspection, including portions of the penstock that ran though mountain tunnels.
- 2010 Bridge River: Supported B.C. Hydro staff for external penstock and slope work.
- 2012 Bridge River: Provided standby rescue services and confined space support for a 5 km tunnel inspection.
- 2012 La Joie: CRAS Inc was contracted to provide safe access for an inspection of the intake gate, located in a confined space at the bottom of the intake tower.
- 2013 Clowhom: Spill Gate Inspection. Canadian Rope Access provided rope access services to position a B.C. Hydro engineer at all inspection points on the radial spill gates.
Ruskin Dam 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 2012: Extensive operations at Ruskin Generations, CRAS Inc. has inspected all 3 penstocks, several spill gates, facilitated access to the dam face, provided confined space support for the scroll case, etc.
And the list goes on and on…
“Thanks to you and your crews’ professionalism and hard work, we’ve received very positive comments about how we hosted the site visit. Beyond the note below from Alstom, I also received similar verbal comments from some of the other vendors. Well done!”
Derek Sakamoto BC Hydro Engineering Civil Design – Hydrotechnical